Dear Prospective Member: Thank you for your interest in Southwestern Yacht Club. We hope you sail through the application process and find yourself enjoying the camaraderie of membership.
As you fill out the application, some questions may arise. We hope this will help clarify matters for you. Ninety percent of the prospective membership falls into one of two categories: Flag or Regular. This is how the Club’s bylaws describe each category:
- Flag Membership is available to any person 21 years of age or over who owns a boat not less than 14 feet overall in length. A Flag member is eligible to vote at meetings of the membership, hold elective office, and enter his/her boat in Club races.
- Regular Membership is available to any person 21 years of age or over who does not own a boat. Regular members are not eligible for elective office nor shall they be entitled to vote on proposals other than dues and assessments.
If you do not fall into either of these categories, please contact our front office. We can help you determine your membership category.
During the application process, we do have to ask some confidential information about you.
- Employer and Social Security Number information is needed for the person in whose name the membership will be held. We would like you to know that every attempt is made to keep your personal information private. Before your application is submitted to the Membership Committee or posted on the Club bulletin board, your social security number is removed. SWYC will obtain a credit report as part of your application. Only the Club Manager, Club Treasurer and Membership Chair will review this report.
- Personal reference should be someone who is not a member of Southwestern Yacht Club.
- Yacht Club Sponsors must be two members in good standing, at least one of whom must hold a separate Flag, Regular or Life Membership. They are required to fill out a confidential Southwestern Yacht Club Sponsor Form for you.
- Finally, you will get to the fun part - on the last page, circle the activities that interest you. Please include a short letter describing your boating experience and your interest in SWYC. Upon approval of your application, you will be placed in a Conditional membership for 12 months. Initiation fees must be paid in full when you are approved for Conditional Membership. During this first year, you must meet certain requirements, including involvement in two Club activities. You can meet this volunteer requirement by contacting the activity chairs who will be happy to involve you in their functions.
We hope the process goes smoothly for you. The Membership Committee looks forward to meeting you and processing your application. We wish you fair winds and following seas!
Don Laverty, Membership Committee Chair